Wednesday 16 November 2011

Running on High

The older I get the more aware I am of what an intense personality I have. I think I have probably always been a high octave kind of person but there is no doubt that my lifestyle these days has exacerbated this trait.

Partially I think this is because this lifestyle, full of multi tasking, doesn't gel well with my other personality trait which is laziness. I use the word laziness with a certain amount of caution because it tends to lead people to envisage that I get nothing done. I get a lot done, but I seem to always try and find the easiest way of doing it and if there is a time where there is little to be done, I rarely get bored or look for things to fill my time. If anything I revel in these quiet moments and happily spend them doing nothing.

So add a generally lackadaisical personality to a high activity lifestyle and you get me, pretty consistently, running on high speed.

This is something that although I spend time occasionally pondering, doesn't bother me. I mean, I am who I am. It's not something that I apologies for especially as it rarely effects other people. But it is something that I would like to work on a bit.

You see there are some ... side effects. I miss details occasionally, I have trouble recalling them especially things like details people have told me in conversation, or the tiny tasks that need to be completed. I talk extremely fast at times, this probably means people also miss the details of things I have told them. And when I am in this state I speak without really hearing how what I'm about to say is going to come out.

But hey, we all have pieces of ourselves we know need work, most of us more than one. I am also aware that these traits give us something. My ability to talk fast means I can get out what I want to say in record time ;) it means that I really can multi task with the best of them. Sure doing so 24/7 means that occasionally small details get missed but hey the rest of the time I'm practically a work-a-holic.

So as I contemplate slowing down, thinking and acting more calmly I will also take time to remember the positive parts as well.

What personality traits do you have that you'd like to work on? What's stopping you? For me the reason I'm not exactly working on my hyperactive nature is that at the moment it still (mostly) serves me well.

It just may mean I have a few more grey hairs or wrinkles than I would if I could learn to relax a bit more often ;)

Watching - Rise of the planet of the apes. Don't know if it was just the right movie for the time but I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Reading - when I get a chance I am reading (very very slowly) a book a friend of mine wrote. So far the words lush and whimsical come to mind.

Listening - I actually haven't listened to anything for days ... except the clogs of my own brain ticking over at high speed.

State of mind - generally, contently frantic.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails