Sunday 25 May 2008

For the Love of a Bargain


Over the past few years my love of secondhand shopping has blossomed. It started with a book fair 7 years ago where i got 40 odd books for $8. I was so overjoyed with my bounty that we now have more books than we know what to do with. It took me another year or so to start trawling for other recycled things and then watching my bountiful bargain hunter friend who manages to get almost everything secondhand or on sale, inspired me to trawl even harder.
This weekend she and i went to a car boot sale, we marked it on our calendar and booked it with our husband and unhusband. We arrived at about 8.30am and left at 1pm with bags full of trash and treasure.
There is really nothing more satisfying that hauling a bag filled to the brim and knowing you spent less that $50.
I got, 3 Harry Potter books which Andrew failed to appreciate
Me: Babe i got three unmarked Harry Potter books look!
AB: umm don't we have the whole Harry Potter series already
Me: yes but that's not the point its still a bargain
I also managed to score 3 pairs of kids shoes, 2 pairs of training pants, 4 pairs of kids socks, 1 pair of kids tights, 4 singlets, a groovy orange knitted vest for Hamish, 2 wrap skirts for me, 2 tops for me, a small picture in a frame, a beaded stretchy belt, 2 beautiful paper masks, a flower press and instruction book, 2 joke eyeballs and a pair of crazy eye glasses (for Jack not me :) 2 kids t-shirts and 2 pairs of kids leggings
All i all a day full of recycled bargains.
I know i keep saying that i am trying not to be a consumerist type of person and i do feel that seeing they were all secondhand that really I'm just recycling but there is this strange enjoyable feeling of bounty that stirs inside of me, hmm gluttony i know its a sin but it feel quiet good ...... until we are on the next 60 Minutes special on hoarders :)
Bloody blogger wont let me put paragraphs in, its the program not my grammar

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails