Sunday 9 January 2011

Gifts - The Good, the Bad and the Weird

Finally all the Christmas and birthday celebrations are complete. And this morning I have been pondering and reflecting over the gifts we have all received.

We were very lucky this season and we all received gifts that rocked our world (in a good way).

This can also be a time that I find slightly challenging. Things that are not 'mummy sanctioned' make their way into our home mostly they are hits ... occasionally they are misses, and sometimes they are just a little weird.

The big winners this year were Jacks multiple Doctor Who bits and the art and the craft stuff. For Hamish it was the bubble makers, and the board games.

The boys got a dinosaur egg each that we assumed you put in water and watch it grow. So we put it in the water and waited ... and waited. I thought I'd help it along by taking the plastic layer off and then we waited. I took off the second layer of plastic and waited. Finally we all ripped the outside layers off and realized that inside were not baby hatching dinosaurs but Terry toweling flannels. We had been watching them for 2 days when really you were just meant to open them. This is why instruction of some sort or another are quiet important.

With the kids getting older, more often their toys comprise of small pieces so I am having to both, be onto the kids about looking after their things and be very aware as I vacuum.

The only really challenging toy we received this year was a toy soldiers set. Complete with tank, guns and mini soldier figurines (one of which is standing hunched over with a wounded comrade on his back). It is so far out of my 'cool' range that after a talk with Jack, we have packed it away.

I dont want to sound ungrateful. I am thankful to this family for buying Jack a birthday present and I know that, as we all do, they thought about him and tried to pick something they thought he would love. And that is one of the lovely things about giving and receiving gifts. The amount of thought people put into them, trying as hard as they can to pick something that when it's opened brings joy to the other person.

So although I suddenly feel like we have a bit to much stuff. I'll remember that thougtfulness and joy as I'm trying to fish tiny pieces out of the vacuum cleaner.

Watching - Rewatching Big Bang Theory season 3 and catching up on season 4. (I adore this show, it's well and truly one of my favorites)

Listening - Stone Roses, Joan Jett, Veruca Salt and the Velvet Underground. (I've been downloading some of the holes in my music collection)

Reading - Still plowing through Neal Stephensons Snow Crash. Either I'm just not in the right place or it's not a late night read but I'm finding it heavy going.

State of Mind - Exhausted and ready for preschool to go back on Monday so I can have a few quiet days with Jack.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails