Friday 24 October 2008

Lifes To Do List

Being a list maker it surprises me that I have never made a life 'to do' list. I think it might have something to do with the idea that I would come across the list again when I am 80 and feel like I haven't completed enough of them. In spite of that I am going to make a list of things I would like to do. The reason I feel comfortable doing it is that I am reasonably sure that the things that are on the list are either a) doable or b) so undoable that I will think of them as the flight of fancy of a 30 something. Oh and a disclaimer, the greater version of me would also love to cure cancer work for world peace and other grand ideas but then I really might look back at the list at 80 with a tear of regret.

1. Do astronaut training - I saw on one of the morning shows that they are starting commercial space flight. You know where you experience high range G forces, do the whole weight less training etc and the you go into a shuttle and fly around in orbit. I didn't catch how much a joy flight would be but I can dream, or start saving my pennies

2. Learn to be a fire twirler - its the pyromaniac in me I guess or that episode of Sea change where Miranda fell in love with a fire twirler and he wrote her name in the sand in fire ...... Who knew the fire twirler in me was a romantic

3. I think I will be a tad disappointed if I make it to 80+ and haven't figured out what my mutant super power is. Mind you it doesn't have to be a mutant super power, I'd settle for a spider bite or undiscovered dormant super gene. I will be very sceptical of movies and all of the cool things they have promised if it turns out I don't get to have a super power. Personally I'm hoping for a flying/teleporting power, but telekinesis or telepathy will do. I don't want one of the dodgy ones, like turning into a rock monster or not being able to touch anyone though. And being that I am intrinsically lazy I don't much want super strength or the ability to stretch, move fast or anything else that requires me to move a lot to use it.

4. I want to travel to; Africa (to many countries within to list), Morocco, Paris (I can take or leave the rest of France though I'm sure it beautiful), New York, Ireland (while I'm there I want to see that crazy race where they roll a wheel of cheese down the hill and run after it, not sure if I want to actually break my leg running after it but if I had to break my leg that's how I'd want it to go .... Actually is the cheese race in Ireland or Scotland? if it's in Scotland, Dad why didn't we make a special effort to see the cheese race?), Peru, Alaska (mainly for the aurora borealis) Antarctica, Tibet, Nepal and India. I'm sure there are others so consider these my top 10.

5. Go Zorbing - I think that's what its called. It's when you go inside a big clear plastic ball that has a smaller ball space inside and they roll you down the hill. It sounds a lot like the experience of going in the Zipper ride (Catriona and Andrew can contest to me loving the Zipper and both of them have sworn to never get on it with me again)
6. Interact with a Tiger/Cheetah - I'm not sure how I feel about those *come pat a tiger* type places so if I can't find a way of doing it without feeling that they are caging the tiger for my pleasure then maybe I could join that show Big Cat Diaries and then a cheetah will jump on my car
7. Go scuba diving - I actually find the idea of scuba diving scarier than anything else on the list, too many movies where people fall off the edge into a 4km deep chasm and get crushed by the pressure. I think I have underwater vertigo

8. Own a horse - speaks for itself really. I have wanted a horse since I was a little girl and I hope now that I am a financially independent adult one day I will see fit to fulfil my dream of owning one
9. Learn how to knit, crochet and sew - obviously the most achievable but I have tried knitting and it hard, the sewing thing relies on me understanding mums ancient sewing machine that tries to eat my creation or my hands and crocheting seem crazy hard (though I've heard its easy) how do you make all of those beautiful things with one little hook. I would also like to try my hand a batik, quilting, own a kiln and potters wheel, glass blowing, lead lighting, mosaics and welding
10. Have a go at being self sufficient - remember that show the good life, where the couple had a small suburban plot and had chickens, pigs, veges and an interfering neighbour. Well I don't mind if we had to do it on 50 acres of a 1/4 acre I would love to be able to produce more of our own food clothing drink etc and then barter for the rest. At the moment with two young boys and two large dogs our 6 meter by 8 meter garden doesn't seem quiet large enough to even produce a meal let alone be self sufficient ..... Maybe a roof top garden, hmm but that's where I want the pool :)

So that my top 10 life to do things as they stand today, as my post about my favourite music months ago has shown it could change at any moment (I mean really since when was rocketman by Elton John even close to one of top songs?) But it will do for now. I'll keep you updated on those super power ...... Unless that would give away my secret identity :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel it's my job to respond to these points one by one. Either that, or I'm naturally pedantic.

1. My understanding is that commercial space flight is crazy expensive. As in millions. I think Lord British--the chap who invented the Ultima video games--is up there now via the Russian space programme. So, crazy expensive.

Otherwise, I'm with you. You'll shout me a trip, right?

2. Fire twirling? Makes sense to me.

3. I suspect that an undiscovered super gene would qualify as a mutant superpower, since homo superior (i.e. The X-Men) are a result of genetic mutation (even though genes and evolution really don't work that way).

Got no argument with this. I don't want telepathy, though. So tiring, blocking all the thoughts out. And sometimes I have thoughts I want to keep to myself, you know? (Not bad thoughts, really, though I don't want people hearing the "why don't half the people in this queue die--or at least go away--so I don't have to keep waiting?" thoughts, either.)

I'd like to fly. Maybe invulnerability. (Stupid back steps.) Or time travel.

4. Minor nit-picking: Morocco is in Africa (North Africa) and the cheese rolling is in Gloucestershire in England.

But this one's absolutely doable. Go for it!

5. I am never going zorbing and you can't make me. I still regret getting on that damn Zipper with you. And, yes, I was terrified and I don't deny it. But I don't know why it didn't occur to me at the time that someone who suffers from such severe motion sickness that they struggle to roll over in bed or use a microfilm machine went on a ride where they were in a tiny, spinning metal cage.

I still maintain that that's why I was so sick. (Oh, and the terror!) Hee--remember how horrified Mam was when you brought me back white as a sheet.

Best friends are awesome.

6-8: I'm out. Tigers--love them. But the teeth! And the chomping! Scuba diving--sharks! Sharks! Sharks! Horses--too big.

9. I can knit, but poorly. I've never managed crochet, though Mam says it's easy and Lu can do it beautifully, too. But I don't think you'd have any trouble with those, or with quilting.

You could try rug making, too. And, on that note, I've never seen a picture of your 30th birthday rug in its new environment. You haven't hidden it under the stairs and only plan on bringing it out when I visit, have you? 'Cause I thought it turned out rather well.

10. I'll come and eat your vegetables, but I'm not helping you weed.

Buffy Stun-Hers said...

"I suspect that an undiscovered super gene would qualify as a mutant superpower, since homo superior (i.e. The X-Men) are a result of genetic mutation (even though genes and evolution really don't work that way)"

No I meant more like the X-Files episode i saw today about the general bits of our DNA that are currently thought of as junk, turning out to just need a jump start or alien contact or something, so i think its a bit different to actual mutant genes more like dormant genes that need waking. I think that the telepathy would be the sort of thing i could direct i agree i dont want it if its white noise in my head .... there is enough of that already

I totally remember what your mums face looked liked when i brought you home i think she thought i had got you drunk or given you crack... she chilled out once she realised that it was serious motion sickness

Hmmm yes it did occur to me after i hit send that Morocco was in Africa oops :) and it looks like I'm going to have to do the whole UK so i can catch the cheese rolling :)

The rug has moved with me from room to room. It is the thing that makes my bedroom feel like home and i love it, i promise to get a photo of it this weekend, actually time permitting I'm going to blog about it.

Anonymous said...

How bored would you have to be to use crack at the Camden Show? Boggles the mind.

I don't think I've seen that episode of The X-Files, but I see the difference now you've pointed it out. Of course, evolution and genetic change don't work that way, either, but that's television for you.

And, yes! Give the rug Internet celebrity! It deserves it! (She says, humbly.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails