Friday 11 April 2008

The Coolness of You

The last few days we have had a breakthrough, WE HAVE SLEEP!!. I cant tell you how mentally refreshed I feel, not from the extra sleep (not yet) but from the freedom of being worried about sleep.

I wont bore you with the details, but I have started making a power smoothie for dinner and needed some help designing the best smoothie I could. Google is your friend, only as long as you have some real knowledge to back it up and I needed some help. I talked to some friends and picked their brain about ingredients, but still felt like I needed a few more answers.

So I called Dad and he talked me through ideas about raw milk, protein powder pros and cons and eating ideologies. I got off the phone with a load of ideas to try and things to Google further.

Later on I got to thinking, how cool is it that I can ask my dad about that! ..... when so many people in their 60's are wearing cabana shirts and thinking Elvis was the last great musician.  My dad is travelling to India to work with an orphanage, learning how to meditate, exploring diet ideas and listening to what he used to call doof doof music.
Now cabana shirts may make a come back and you might agree that Elvis IS king but the difference is that my dad is still growing, still exploring the world and himself.
How do you get to that? why do some people stop challenging themselves? and why do others keep on searching? and most importantly how can you make sure you you are still searching and exploring and being brave when you are 60?
I'm proud of my dad, don't get me wrong we haven't always and often still don't always, see eye to eye.  And like dads are meant to, sometimes he drives me nuts (waves cheekily at her dad) but generally I think that the person he is and the courage he shows regularly to shake it up for a bit is admirable.

I hope genetically I am predisposed to be a little like him, and I hope that more people find their own ways to be brave when so many people start slowing down.
I'm glad my dad and my beautiful stepmother are going to be influences on my kids lives as well.  I think that their example will show them the freedom in being yourself and taking chances.  I hope that they learn the same things from their dad and I as well.

So listen to new music always, travel to the places you dream, find a job you love, or at least a job that will fund a life you love, take chances and be brave and most importantly, in the always poignant words of graffiti

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A warning to my readers

by Wendell Berry

Do not think me gentle
because I speak in praise
of gentleness, or elegant
because I honor the grace
that keeps this world. I am
a man crude as any,
gross of speech, intolerant,
stubborn, angry, full
of fits and furies. That I
may have spoken well
at times, is not natural.
A wonder is what it is.

Related Posts with Thumbnails