Sunday 20 April 2008

Leave you hanging

Andrew mentioned that my last post was a little boring but to be honest things have been a little slow and i have been a little vague but i don't want to leave you hanging on a dodgy post. So for the first time I'm going to do a bits a pieces post.

Firstly, a lovely woman i know from the magic yellow bus who i had been talking about the Six word memoirs with told me hers and i though that it spoke strongly of her life it was; 'lived til 35 enjoying the rest'. So whats yours? come on think about it!

Also today our close friends and their two kids and our family went fishing. No i didn't fish, and neither did the kids but Andrew and the other couple did. I sat on the mat with their little boy and the three older kids explored. It was beautiful to watch, for hours the three of them talked about monsters, dinosaurs, bugs and birds, they hid and ran poked sticks in holes and threw rocks in the river. It made my heart feel really full for them.

A few years ago when talking to a friend of ours who had a few kids, i talked about wanting to take the kids to a village that i had seen where you could stay and live with the villagers, you got your own hut on the beach but like the village it had no electricity. You basically joined the village ate meals with them bathed with them and generally did what they did (I'm not sure about the whether you work with them though) I was talking about how i thought the kids could learn so much from playing with the kids in the village and how much we could learn about living simply. The friend scoffed at the idea, she said 'i give you 2 days before the whining from boredom stops you enjoying yourself" .

I was a quiet upset at the thought that being out in nature playing with sticks and sand wasn't going to be enough for kids to keep them occupied, i wondered about how you would go about giving your kids the ability to entertain themselves.

I have memories of spending hours playing with mud, making fairy baths out of magnolia petals, climbing trees with a packed lunch, and (thanks Trina) making sleds out of old boxes to slide down the grassy hill behind our house, called the hump. Were my kids not going to have that?

Today thanks to 3 year olds imagination and a good friend and brother to play with i think my kids proved that friend wrong, i think they would love that experience, now how to keep it that way :)

Oh the last thing that has happened since the boring post :)

It was Andrews grandparents 60th wedding anniversary. Pretty cool hey, can you imagine 60 years together. I wonder if the person looks more familiar to you than they do at 8 years? do they still interest you? do you still feel connected? can you even remember life without them? i think 60 years is amazing, they have been loving each other for almost twice as long as i have been alive. They have been together over 2.5 times longer than they were alive before they met. I think its marvelous that they still love each other, it is an inspiration.

5 comments:

David Whitmore said...

Your posts are never boring. Andrew is cheeky! I love the live in a vilage idea, where do I sign up!? Kelly and Jarrah (magic yellow bus)

Anonymous said...

I don't remember making sleds out of boxes, though. I do remember nicking the For Sale/For Rent signs from the neighbourhood to slide down the Hump.

But that's not necessarily the kind of trait you want to pass down to my nephews, surely?

In retrospect, perhaps playing in the sandmines isn't necessarily something you want to pass down to them, either.

Sometimes I can't believe our parents were as cool as they were with what we did as kids--but then I've never forgotten the look on your mum's face when we came back after pulling Toto out of the mud pool and she had to hose us down.

Buffy Stun-Hers said...

Kelly dont worry you are SO invited to be part of any village we create, top of the list :)

Trina, haha do you remember that time where it took us ages to dig him out of the bog and then ourselves, i love how you remember all this stuff xx

Anonymous said...

I also remember that we sank up to our armpits, and it was a miracle that we didn't actually drown. Although I don't remember being scared at the time.

I think the only time your mum was angrier with us when we we snapped the Hills Hoist by swinging on it.

You know, we weren't stupid--why didn't it occur to us to arrange ourselves on opposite sides of the clotheslines? It might not have snapped then.

Anonymous said...

Damn. It's just occurred to me that it would have been really funny to add a "leave you hanging" joke to that memory about the Hills Hoist.

Don't you hate it when you think of jokes too late?

Related Posts with Thumbnails