Wednesday 14 January 2009

Introspection


I have been thinking a lot in the last few weeks about what sort of person I am.  Its something that in my quiet times I am quiet perplexed by, how do I see myself? how do others see me? and do these two views come close to each other.

While I have been pondering all of this a quote from Doctor Who - Christmas Invasion keeps running through my head. 

The Doctor has just awoken from his latest regeneration and is questioning who he is now?

See, there's the thing. I'm the Doctor, but beyond that, I-- I just don't know. I literally do not know who I am. It's all untested.
(walks around, addressing everyone)
Am I funny? Am I sarcastic?
(looks at Rose)
Sexy?
(winks cheekily - she smiles shyly)
Right old misery? Life and soul? Right-handed? Left-handed? A gambler? A fighter? A coward? A traitor? A liar? A nervous wreck? I mean, judging by the evidence, I've certainly got a gob.
(notices the button)
And how am I gonna react when I see this?
(points up at the button with an insane smile)
A great big threatening button.
(runs up the stairs, laughing)


Recently my shrink asked me to take an online quiz from Authentic Happiness called VIA Signature Strengths.  Im not sure what her point as on getting me to take this quiz, we haven't gotten to that yet but it was interesting to see what my top 5 strengths were;

1. Bravery and Valor
2. Appreciation of beauty and excellence
3. Curiosity and interest in the world (now #9)
4. Humor and playfulness (now #6)
5. Fairness, equity and justice

And then when I took the test again today, because I had lost the paperwork my top 5 strengths were;

1. Capacity to love and be loved (previously #9)
2. Appreciation of beauty and excellence
3. Fairness Equity and justice
4. Social intelligence (previously #10)
5. Bravery and Valor

Now I know that these quizzes are always biased, when someone asks you to rate yourself and your abilities, no matter how honest you hope to be they are still very tainted.  Also apparently your mood can change the way the results turn out, in fact I'm sure I could take the same quiz 20 times and never get the same answers, but still it was an interesting activity on my road pondering what sort of person I am.

How else do you figure out who you are? you can go by the things people say about you, but more often than not the way people perceive you is more to do with them than you.

So far i have come the the conclusion that on any differnt day in and any different circumstance I am someone different, sometimes I am caring, cranky, loving, funny, opinionated, generous, slightly mad ...... but always me.

Have you thought about who you are today? Maybe we all need to regenerate once in a while so we give the idea of who we are some thought?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails