Sunday 20 February 2011

In Your Own Time

Isn't this one of the happiest faces you have ever seen? It's the face of a boy who has just conquered one of his fears.

Since very little Hamish has hated putting any part of his face under the water. He didn't want to blow bubbles, he definitely didn't want to put his ears under the water, but mostly he didn't want to put his eyes under the water.

Swimming with him has been a very different experience than with Jack, who was quiet water confident very young. And while everyone else was doing swimming lessons, Hamish wouldn't even go in past his knees.

This is a country where we value being able to swim (as I do). But I know Hamish, the harder you push, the longer it takes for him to choose to do it.

So we haven't pushed, we let him at his own speed, decide when he was ready. And over these last weeks Hamish has started to try and overcome his fear and put his face in the water.

This week he even asked if I could take him somewhere that he could learn to swim. (of course we will!)

It's been a long and sometimes frustrating road, and I'm guessing it's not over yet. But he will get there, in his own time, in his own way.

I hope I can remember this next time one of my kids doesn't achieve something or conquer something in the time I feel is appropriate. Once again the gentler path, is the easier path and ultimately for them and for me it is a more joyous path. As they learn and achieve under their own steam.

And really, that smile says it all doesn't it?

Watching - Nothing, my hard drive with all our movies and series on it has crashed. Please cross your fingers that everything I have collected over the last 4 years isn't lost. (I have a lot of it backed up but not all the current stuff Argh)

Listening - The sound of 6 children playing in the pool in the backyard (last day of Heatwave #2)

Reading - Sandman Volume 6

State of mind - Hot, worried about the loss of data but generally pretty chilled out.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails