Saturday 15 March 2008

All Things Point South

What's with those days were everything goes pear shaped. Is it a moon thing? A state of mind thing? A karmic thing? Or maybe its just a perception thing.

Today was one of those days, wheels are flat, comments taken the wrong way, kids won't sleep, dogs are howling, and all feels a little off.

On today of all days I decided to cut Jacks hair, silly, silly, silly. I mean what was I thinking? After all the precursors.

The other day there was this boy at the park, he had the cutest haircut and I went and talked to his mum about it. Jacks hair had been on my mind, it was due for a trim and Andrew had been pushing for a two months on two months off arrangement to pick Jacks haircut.

You see we have this ongoing battle about whether Jack should have the longer softer haircut I like or the shorter more traditional haircut Andrew likes.

Then after the talk with the cute haircut boys mum a friend of mine took up the scissors and decided to cut her 18 month old boys hair. It really got me wondering, what's with my reluctance to cut my kids hair.

So after some soul searching and Googling men's haircuts, Andrew and I got out the clippers and the thining scissors and got cutting. Andrew did most of the clipping while I did the tidying and directing, then we popped Jack in the shower and waited for it to dry. We looked I ruffled and ruffled and ruffled his hair and then promptly burst into tears....... WHAT WAS I THINKING?

So of course I hate it truly hate it, it makes him look mischievous and unfamiliar and older ........... Hmmm is this perhaps the issue I have with cutting the kids hair, it makes them look different, older and somehow until I get used to it, less mine.

Tomorrow I plan on revisiting his haircut, cutting out the mischievous bit and giving him a more standard little boy haircut, and then we wait until the next time his hair needs a trim and we will go through this all again.

Next time though I will endeavor not to make these decisions on a day where everything else has gone askew.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails