Sunday 15 June 2008

Oh Green how i Missed You

A few months ago I mentioned to Andrew that something funny was going on with the colour on our TV. Things looked brighter and although that is normally a good thing, it was abnormally bright.

Our old TV was one that we brought when we lived in Singapore


When we lived in a much bigger space

I have disliked the size and weight of it ever since we moved back to Sydney, it is easily 150kg so it means that it required a large unit to put it on and it also meant that Andrew and I could barely move it and so we could never move the furniture around the way that I wanted to. Also because of its size it had an overwhelming presence in out little lounge room and when we didn't want to watch TV it was still staring us in the face.
So when I saw that the colour seemed to be going funny, in the back of my head I wondered if this was the end of the ball and chain that has been our TV
Over the next week the colour got even funnier, I couldn't figure out what was wrong until we watched a documentary on the Amazon jungle, unless there has recently been mass bloodshed in the center of the Amazon jungle it was apparent that our TV was no longer producing green, and it was replacing it with red. Also anything that was blue was now fluro blue, white was pink (because as Treena so aptly reminded me to produce white you need all the colours to combine) and the rest was this washed out grey colour.
Andrew said that it wasn't bothering him, and the kids didn't seem to notice.  I on the other hand could barely watch it.  Something about it made me feel uneasy, I think it had to do with the fact that because everything was red and blue it gave movies an strange eerie feeling.
So we have been watching everything in red and blue for the last few weeks/months wondering whether to fix it, buy a new one or go without a TV at all (god forbid:)
On the weekend Andrew went out and brought us a brand new flat screen TV, its still big (bigger than I wanted) but ohhh it has green and how I had missed green

The best part is that it is smaller than our old TV and it is much much lighter and so it makes the room feel lighter and less dominated by TV, you can actually imagine sitting in our lounge and reading, whereas before all it looked like it was possible to do was watch TV and maybe play with the occasional toy (while TV was on of course)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, nice! I have total television envy.

We've only had the current one since, I think, April (when Nick bought it over my disapproval) and I think it must be very similar to your old one: it's huge and weighs an insane amount (although we already had a stupidly big TV unit.)

It scares me, frankly, and it does dominate the room.

Related Posts with Thumbnails