Monday 11 February 2008

Carbon Footprint


I have been thinking about our families carbon footprint lately, and wondering how much I was willing to change to help cope with the foot print we leave. I want to teach the kids how to respect our planet and the resources we use ....... but how to balance that without feeling that I am having a shower in a caravan park ?
The show the Carbon Cops has been keeping it in the forefront of our minds, they have some great ideas and its interesting to watch families embrace the change. The one that caught my eye recently was a family with 2 young children, the mother drove a large 4WD and they got her this really groovy bike to do small quick trips with the kids, I had a look online and they are called Christiania Bikes. How cool are they, the family had this set up where the toddler sat in it and the baby was in a car seat. I want one, well more accurately I want to be the sort of person that rides one of these. Almost everything we need is only a 1/2 an hour ride away at the most, I can imagine going to the grocer and the park and preschool ect on it, but no one has ever mistaken me for the sort of person that rides a bike.
Riding a bike conjures pictures images of people very different from me, firstly they are fit but also they fit that fit and healthy mould you know chirpy, tanned, full of those endorphins. I think I would want to punch myself :)

So maybe I need to sit on that and think about it a bit, in the mean time I will work on the other bits. For instance we live 2 minutes away from a bio-diesel station, so Andrew is talking about buying a diesel car, I am going to call our energy company and sign up with a green energy provider, we are working on turning things off when they are not in use and looking at the energy that our appliances use. I'm sure there is more, like growing some of our own food, buying local produce, packaging, recycling better, buying recycled over new, our consumer habits ...... wow I could go on and on. Still its an interesting process, I wonder how much we will be willing to change , I wonder if at the end I will be the sort of person that rides a bike !!

3 comments:

funkylamb said...

Oh my, I want one of those bikes!!
I think perhaps I fall into that "I'm not a bike person" category too but perhaps I won't let that stop me...hehehe. I wonder how much they are?

Buffy Stun-Hers said...

Hmm well i got a quote and they were around $2800 so not quiet in the budget :)

funkylamb said...

Ah...yessss...well, I'll take two! What a shame...

Related Posts with Thumbnails