Saturday 23 February 2008

Genre of the Month

I love books, I love everything about books, I love the new book smell and the crispy pages, I love reading and feeling that the time I am reading is all about me.

Recently I have been taking a break from the non fiction, birth and breastfeeding books that I have consumed non stop for the last few years and gotten back to my roots, although I need to go back to reading non fiction or I will never finish my course, but this month its been all about Fantasy.

I have been on a run of Neil Gaiman, I think his writing is clever and quirky, I often need to reread sentences because he is creative with the way he structures an explanation but his stories are unique, it reminds me of the way that my dad writes.

The first book I read of his was Stardust I read it years ago and loved it but it had never occurred to me to read any further, until I was walking past a book store and saw his latest book Fragile Things. Its a compilation of short stories and other bits and it was so enjoyable and different that I have now gotten my way through most of his back catalogue.

It reminded me that Fantasy and Sci-Fi really are my favourite genre, from Enders Game by Orson Scott Card to The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham, give me an escape from reality any day.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails