Monday 16 May 2011

Dance The Way I Feel




When was the last time you danced till you felt you couldn't dance anymore? Till you were hot and sweaty? Till your muscles ached and your feet hurt? Till you felt that dancing bug was completely sated?

Dancing is one of those things that can invigorate the body, done right it is one of those rare times when you feel completely free. But what does 'done right' mean? I'm certainly no candidate for 'So You Think You Can Dance' so what I mean is, when was the last time you danced like no one was watching? Like you were completely at one with the music and  were able to move your body the way the music makes you feel?

I'm guessing for most of you (and for me) it's been a loooong time. The truth is that most people stop dancing at some point. Maybe you've lost your interest in clubs and rave parties. Maybe you just lost the time to do these things. Maybe you've got no interest in dancing alone. Maybe you don't have the interest in dancing with others.  Whatever the reason, unless your completely motivated to keep up dancing, it seems to be of those things people stop doing regularly or at all.

On the weekend I had an epiphany, there is nothing better for my state of mind and soul than to dance the way I feel.  After a few glasses of wine a friend and I put on some boppy music and started prancing around her lounge room. We danced till we were sweaty, and exhausted. We danced until we forgot we were together and started dancing like no one was watching, moving like our bodies like we were part of the music. 



In short it was amazing!!! 


We didn't need a night club, or a rave party, we probably didn't even need the few glasses of wine (although I'm sure they helped feel comfortable enough to be so silly at the beginning) all we needed was music, and courage and we danced, and danced, and danced. In fact we danced till almost 3am in the morning. I woke and my whole body ached and my mind felt like I had meditated for hours.

It reminded me of a friend who recently mentioned that they were thinking of joining a club that his friend is part of. I wish I could remember more about it. But from what I do remember the whole point of this club wasn't drinking and picking up or anything to do with night clubs. This was more in line with a knitting club or a bike riding club. This was dancing to achive a version of nirvana.  A place to release, without feeling watched. A place to dance the way you feel.



I might need to call him and find out more about it because dancing alone (but not alone) in the lounge room was the most fun and mental relaxation I've had in a long time.


Watching - The Neil Gaiman written Doctor Who .... heaven in a blue box


Reading - Ray Bradbury - The day it rained forever


Listening - A whole lot of boppy music, favs for the night included Nirvana, Adrian Lux, The Gossip and Florence and the Machine.


State of mind - Ready to do it all again

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails