Monday 30 May 2011

You Only Live Once


Twelve years ago today, I woke up to the news that my mum had died.  She had a massive asthma attack in the early hours of the morning, she was 56.  I feel devastated when I think of the fact that mum is no longer in my or my families life, I miss her desperately.  But I also think that just focusing on my loss from her death is a waste of a huge life lesson.

56 ... It's not that far from 34.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being morbid or freaking out that I am going to die at a young age.  More I'm taking note of how fleeting this life is and how important it is to remember that, as we live our own lives.

I have a tendency to put things off that are out of my comfort zone.  Maybe most people do.  Last week an awesome friend told me we were going out dancing on Saturday night.   My first reaction was 'I don't think that's a good idea, I haven't been out dancing since I was in my early 20's, what would I wear?'.


Then I realised that the others going were also out of their comfort zone.  One was worried about how she was going to get motivated to go out at 10pm.  Another was worried she couldn't remember how to dance. And everyone had slight wardrobe worries.

So I put on my glad rags and thought to myself, what have you got to loose? (after ages staring at my wardrobe and playing with makeup ideas) And we had a wonderfully hilarious night that I will remember for a long time to come.  It was full of laughter and dancing and general debauchery.  Imagine crazy trance music, men on stage in blue and white tinsel mankini's dancing wildy to the music, finding new friends in everyone you met, scoffing down McDonalds at 3.30am and finally laying your head on the pillow at just past 4am.

You only live once!!! and if you keep putting off things that lay outside your comfort zone then are you really living at all?


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails