Sunday 17 August 2008

'The System'

Today is all about learning patience with 'The System'. My aunt is in hospital and watching the way she is being treated is driving me mad.  A bit of back story; a few years ago Libby was diagnosed with terminal cancer in her chest, it then moved up to her brain as a result she stared to get slower, sleeping for most of the day and being less aware of the world around her.

A few days ago she didn't wake up, and by late afternoon they called the ambulance. So she went to hospital, and that's where my need to learn patience started. 

There has been no consolidation of her records, no one person seems to know what's going on with her,  she in a public hospital and it certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

Being a capricorn I like order and so I find this disorganisation incredibly frustrating.  Add to that I'm a carer, its why I choose to be a doula and the watching the care or lack there of of anyone let alone my aunt, is entirely to much to bear.

The other problem is that she is my Aunt, and I can't fix it for her in the same aggressive way I would if she was my mum. So I watch and help the best I can.

I don't know the answer! pay the nurses better hopefully meaning that helps with job satisfaction, bring more people to the profession meaning less patients per nurse, more funding, more quality control. 

Let me be very clear, my mum was a nurse and my cousins are nurses, I am not anti nurse at all, but some of these nurses seem to not care and the ones that do are to busy to do the kind of job we hope they will do if it was us in their care

At the moment all her family and I can do if fill the space the systems care leaves and make sure that she has what she needs to the best of our ability, but it has me thinking, if not for us then who would care for her? Who is caring for all the others?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails