Sunday 20 July 2008

Noticing the Differences

Its been a while since I talked about where I live, but as I was driving through Newtown I was struck by some of the Sunday afternoon characters.

When I pointed out one of these characters to a friend recently she looked shocked and said that she didn't think I was the sort of person to point out peoples difference.

It was an interesting comment and it shows our different perceptions. I feel that part of reveling in our community is by noticing peoples difference, accepting them and thinking that they add to the wonderful colour of where we live.

Take peoples race, I understand that there is a way of thinking that says that by noticing peoples difference you are not really accepting them, if that's the case then I guess I am racist.  I do notice peoples skin colour I just don't think that I judge much other than there heritage by it.

The same goes for the colourful people around us, sure if you wear a top hat and tails with jeans and walk up and down the main street I might think that you are making different choices than I am, or even that maybe you are a little nuts, but I think that I still accept that's who you are and that you are part of the unconventional, always changing, inspirational group of people that helped me listen to my inner voice and become who I am on the inside show on the outside as well.

Today, there was a gaggle of goths and a grungy young guy carrying a copy of a book called weird wisdom, there were a myriad of new mums with $1000 prams, a heavy metal, pierced and tattooed guy in a hotted up wheelchair, a bunch of pilgrims, an artist painting technoart in the square, a man with skin the exact colour of dark chocolate, dreadlocks of all shapes, sizes and colour and a dyke on a very shiny tricked out Harley.

Ahhh I love where we live, I love the colour, the madness, the diversity and these things will be what I search for in whatever community we live in, I hope my boys learn to love and accept that diversity as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Technoart"? I've not heard the term. Can you direct me to some examples? I'm always keeping an eye out for interesting new presents for Nick--and that sounds like his kind of thing.

Buffy Stun-Hers said...

Well actually I made up the term techno art to describe this guys wild multicoloured splash like paintings that remind me of 60s psychedelic tiedye or the media play visualization screen

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that sounds more like my sort of thing than Nick's. It's a good name, though.

What I want for Nick is something like really shiny painting of steam-punk machinery and cogs and things. Otherwise, I worry that I've chosen all the artwork (well, "artwork") in the house and that it's all too girly.

Related Posts with Thumbnails