Thursday 31 July 2008

The park

Its a fine line they say, between pleasure and pain. That perfectly describes my feelings about 'the park'. Being the mother of two boys in the inner west means that the park is something we do multiple times a week.

There are many type of parks (pre kids who knew this) there are the under 3 parks, the sand pit parks, the big kid parks, fenced park, the unfenced park, the trying to do something new, and the trying to keep something old types of park and everything in between.

I strongly dislike the park, I don't like the social aspect, I don't like dealing with kids trying to learn to share the see-saw or only go one way on the slide, and don't get me started on the swing, I think I could go as far as saying I hate the swings, they cause more biff than any other structure in the park, plus the parent has to stand there pushing for 1/2 an hour while the child just sits and enjoys the ride, its like the parks version of TV

The problem is that we live in the city, and we have two boys and they need places to run and congregate with other children.  If its timed well being in the park with a friend can be some of the only time I get where you can have a uninterrupted conversation, at the wrong time you don't get to talk to anyone because of above mentioned swing related biffo.

So I need the park but loathe the park and fear that if we moved to the country I might find myself missing the park, like some crack addict who hates it but needs it or he feels his life will end.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee, you're too funny, I couldn't agree with you more! We need it but boy can it get ugly...

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. I had no idea you felt the same. I thought you LIKED the park. What a good actress you are. I think I have the world's lowest park tolerance. I HATE HATE HATE them. I try. I really do. I bring a book. I bring everything I can think of to eat. I bring a coffee. I try to share her joy but I really just want to go home to my nice private house where my child would have to try much harder to seriously injure myself and I'm not forced to smile and make conversation with random strangers.

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant herself ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails