Thursday 11 September 2008

Breast feeding the Older Child

I was sitting at the Magic Yellow Bus yesterday. Hamish wandered over and asked for 'boobie', he lay on my lap and had a feed.  I continued chatting with two of my friends with one was feeding an 8 week old and the other feeding her 1 year old.

While I was chatting away I looked down watching these three babes laying calmly in their mothers arms and I noticed, for the first time, that mine was no longer such a baby, he's a little boy.

By two Jack had stopped feeding at night and he was down to 3 feeds in a 24 hour period, one when he woke, one for naptime and one to sleep.  The nap time feed by this stage only happened at home because if we were out he either wouldn't sleep or would fall asleep in the car.

Hamish on the other hand now that he is night weaned is having around 4-5 feeds in a 24 hour period and usually 1-2 of them happen while we are out and about.

So what I hear a few of my crunchy friends thinking and up until I was sitting there yesterday so what is what I had been thinking as well.

The crowd at the magic yellow bus is primarily a fairly mainstream crowd and yesterday I wondered if I was pushing these peoples buttons, were they looking at us and wondering 'how old IS that child?'

I fed him in public again today, and didn't think on it at all but its important to note that the first light bulb moment has been had, he is getting older and if he feeds for as long as Jack he will be done in just over a year.  I can't even imagine life without breast feeding these days, but I am looking forward to commemorating it with another tattoo (the only thing I haven't been able to do for the last 4 years)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails