Tuesday 9 September 2008

Its time to stop looking at P platers

How old do you feel? How old do you think people who don't know you see you as?  When I was about 7 months pregnant with Hamish I went in to buy a present for Andrews cousin. While the girl who was probably barely the legal working age was wrapping the present she asked me what was the present for and I said an 18th birthday, she then said "your daughters really lucky to get this"

I stared at her blankly as I signed the receipt and walked out of the store thinking over and over, she thinks I'm old enough to have an 18 year old, she thinks I'm old enough to have an 18 year old OH MY GOD!!! she thinks I'm old enough to have an 18 year old.

I was blown away and looked at myself very critically when I got home, sure I had crazy hair and my clothes were fairly unflattering (I promptly put the top in the bin) but she must have been mad to have thought I was old enough to have an 18 year old daughter.

Peoples perception of age is a funny thing, and I laugh about it now, but it was a reminder to myself that I am getting older, I can no longer check out P platers, something that I only realised a few years ago.

Getting older is great don't get me wrong, I love the small amount of wisdom and freedom that comes with age and my life these days blows me away.  But it also reminded me that a little effort is needed if I don't want to be shocked with peoples guesses when they are trying to figure out my age.  Maybe my cousin had it right and its time to pull out a few stops to halt the aging process, I'm not about to get botox or buy $200 anti aging products but moisturising twice a day might help.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I've always moisturised twice a day. I never saw it as a means of slowing the aging process, though--it's just that I wash my face twice a day.

But I've noticed that professionals are starting to look too young, especially on television. I don't mean actors, because they've always been weird ages. But when they interview, for example, a doctor on the news, I keep finding myself thinking, "You can't be a doctor! What are you, about twelve?"

Buffy Stun-Hers said...

Have you always washed your face twice a day or only since you have been in Brisvegas? What face products do you use? I'm on the lookout for a new regime xx

Anonymous said...

I've always washed my face twice a day. Well, since I was a teenager, anyway. But then I don't think you and I have the same kind of skin. And, certainly, up here I feel more like I need to wash it three times a day. As it is, I just wash it as part of my routine in the morning, and then before going to bed at night.

And I don't use interesting products: just Olay. I've never understood how face products work, and this seems light and reliable.

Related Posts with Thumbnails